Sydney LEaST – Potts Point Naval Base
Event Phone: 07 3102 7394
- Sydney LEaST
8:00 am - 3:30 pm
- Transport to and from the event is not provided. Closest public transport is Kings Cross Station.
Experience a hands-on STEM workshop, designed especially for teachers, on a Royal Australian Navy base in the heart of Sydney!
The Engineering Link Group is proud to provide hands-on engineering experiences to Physics, Mathematics and Engineering Studies teachers of New South Wales. Mechanical and Civil Engineers from the Defence Force and WestConnex will work directly with you to develop, access and refine resources you can use in your own classroom.
Participants will also receive an exclusive tour of the Naval Base at Potts Point!
This program is NESA-Accredited – Proficient Teacher.
And the best thing – the whole thing is FREE!
Engineers will present on a combination of the following points:
- A brief overview of what their discipline actually is all about.
- Examples of real projects or jobs or research they’ve been involved in.
- Information that teachers can use to help answer the question – “when will we ever use this”?
- Practical activities or ideas that teachers can take back to their classrooms to use.
- Links to the NSW curriculum.
- The knowledge that you can contact the engineers and discuss your ideas for your classroom with them..
There will be time dedicated to reviewing existing activities and projects with the engineers, exploring new opportunities and networking with your peers.
The actual program will depend on the mix of teachers and engineers on the day.
Some feedback from teachers who’ve attended a LEaST in the past:
- I felt this was one of the best in-services I have been to. I will be keen again next year – thank you.
- I found the opportunity to meet and network with engineers invaluable.
- Sharing of resource ideas and witnessing application of, particularly, mathematical concepts in a real life scenario was very valuable.
- Keep up this excellent format.
Venue: Defence Navy Fleet Base
Venue Phone: 0418738344 (Paul Richards - TELG)Address:
The HMAS Kuttabul gangway is located in Macleay Street, Potts Point, NSW. Situated above the historic Garden Island (GI) Dockyard facility, HMAS Kuttabul's primary role is to provide administrative, training and logistics support to defence personnel, both uniform and civilian, employed within the Sydney area.